This is my absolute favorite penne pasta recipe that I was taught by an Italian chef on a cruise liner. It is super easy (probably why he agreed to teach me) but is oh so tasty and popular with everyone who tastes it.
Pasta Penne Recipe with Tomato and Herbs
A super tasty genuine Itailian pasta penne recipe that you will love.
- Pot for cooking pasta
- Large pot
- 3 to 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 cups Pasta Penne
- 2 tsp Your choice of herbs (basil, oregano, marjoram)
- 1 tbsp Finely grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp Salt
- Place the penne in a pot of boiling water with ½ tsp salt.
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes until ¾ cooked. They should still be a little firm, not soft.
- Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside and allow the penne to become totally cold.
- Heat pot on med to low heat. The pot should be large enough for all the pasta and for you to turn pasta, A fairly wide casserole pot is best for this.
- Add the olive oil.
- Finely chop or crush the garlic and add to the olive oil. Cook gently for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and gently stir the tomato paste into the olive oil until it is dissolved into the oil. The tomato sauce may brown a little.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Add the cold pasta penne and gently turn the sauce onto the penne. Do not stir but rather turn over the pasta gently to mix the sauce into the pasta penne.
- Sprinkle with mixed herbs, place the lid on the pot, and allow to cook gently on low heat for a further 5 minutes,
- Serve onto plates and add a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese.
Feel free to experiment with adding some cooked chicken pieces as well.
I have found that this dish also goes well with small chicken pieces. I normally add the cooked chicken pieces just before the pasta. This is totally optional.