My delicious air fryer pork neck recipe is the air fryer version of pork shashlik – a popular Ukrainian and Russian BBQ dish.
I use a boneless pork neck which has been cut into cubes of approx 1-inch square (2.5cm square). You could also use other cuts such as pork tenderloin but a little fat in the meat is an advantage and will add a whole lot of flavor.
Air fryers are one of the hottest trends in the kitchen right now. They’re small, compact devices that use hot air to deep fry food in the same way that a traditional deep fryer does, without the mess and the oil consumption.
Air fryers are also like a small convection oven and so anything that you could grill or bake in an oven can be cooked in your air fryer.
Apart from being so easy and convenient to use and saving on oil, air fryers also use much less electricity than a conventional oven so you save on power. The other huge convenience is that you place your food in the air fryer basket, set the temp and time, and then leave it until the air fryer beeps to notify you that the set cycle is completed. There is no need to constantly watch over the food.
I have had many people asking me about pork neck meat – it seems that most are unfamiliar with it. Pork neck (deboned) is very soft and tender as well as flavorful. The meat tends to be marbled with fat so it produces an excellent taste when grilled in the air fryer or when it is cooked over an open flame.
If the cut is not openly displayed on your supermarket shelf then simply ask the butcher and I am sure he will have no problem guiding you and supplying you with pork neck.
Air Fryer Pork Neck Recipe
- 1 Air Fryer
- 500 gr Deboned Pork Neck
- 1 Pinch Salt
- ½ tsp Coarse Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 Med Onion
- Cut pork into cubes of approximately 1 x 1inch (2.5cm x 2.5cm)
- Slice onion into onion rings
- In a bowl combine mustard, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper together.
- Add pork to the bowl and coat well with the mixture. Add onion rings and mix well so that pork and onion rings are all coated with the mayonnaise mixture.
- Cover the bowl and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove onion rings from the bowl and layer the bottom of your air fryer with the onion.
- Now layer the pork over the onion rings
- Cook in your air fryer at 200°C (397°F) for 10 minutes
- Turn pork cubes and cook for a further 10 minutes at 200°C
- Bon Appetit
This dish is absolutely delicious and can be served with rice, pasta, buckwheat, or even on a roll. The pork is extremely tasty and tender. The onion rings will be fairly well cooked and are also amazing.
If you have good weather the pork cubes can also be cooked over an open fire on a skewer. The smoky fire-grilled taste adds a whole new flavor to the dish.