My lemon cake recipe is really easy to make and tastes amazing. I bake it in a loaf shape to make it easier for slicing. Enjoy with a lovely cup of tea or coffee or simply grab a slice as a snack throughout the day. The cake is both satisfying and refreshing without being too tart from the lemon.
Lemon cake is also a favorite dessert of many people. It is light, fluffy, and has the right amount of sweetness. The cake is may be served with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream.
Lemon cake has been around for centuries and has been a mainstay in English cuisine since the 18th century as a recipe for pound cake with butter, eggs, and lemons. The first American cookbook, American Cookery (1796), by Amelia Simmons, included a recipe for “Lemon and Cream Cake”. In 1846 William Kitchiner published “A Guide to the Art of Dining”, which includes a Lemon Cake recipe.
Lemon cake recipe
- 1 Loaf Pan
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 280 gr Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 200 gr Sugar
- 2 Extra Lrg Eggs
- 150 ml Milk
- 50 ml Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
- 150 ml Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Lemon Zest from 1 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until the mixture is pale. Add the milk, oil, lemon juice, and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and lemon zest. Add this to teh wet mixture and mix together.
- Pour mixture into a greased baking pan (I use a loaf pan approx 26 x 15cm)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes
- Allow to cool and enjoy.
Instruction Video (please like and subscribe)
I usually bake my lemon cake in a loaf shape and serve it in slices. I find that it is more convenient to serve and eat this way. It is also convenient should you wish to serve it with a cream or ice cream topping as the topping does not slide off as it would if the slice was in a wedge shape.