My American-style mac and cheese recipe.
Mac and Cheese is a classic comfort food dish that is beloved by people of all ages. This creamy and cheesy pasta dish is made with elbow macaroni, milk, and a variety of cheeses, including cheddar, which is the most traditional cheese used. The dish is known for its rich and comforting flavor, as well as its versatility. It can be served as a side dish or as a main course and can be made with a variety of different cheeses and seasonings to suit your tastes.
Mac and Cheese is a dish that has been around for centuries, but it has recently seen a resurgence in popularity. This is due in part to the wide variety of creative and delicious recipes that have been developed in recent years, as well as the growing trend of comfort food in restaurants and homes. Whether you are looking for a quick and easy weeknight dinner or a comforting side dish to serve on a special occasion, mac and cheese is a surefire crowd-pleaser. Loved by young and old alike.
Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook it according to the package instructions, until it is al dente. Drain the macaroni and set it aside.
- In a separate large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the flour and whisk until smooth. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the mixture begins to turn a light golden brown.
- Slowly add the milk to the butter and flour mixture, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes, until it thickens.
- Add the dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to the sauce and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and add the cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the sauce and stir until it is evenly coated.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese to a baking dish and smooth the top with a spatula. If using breadcrumbs, sprinkle them on top.
- Bake the macaroni and cheese in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the sauce is bubbly.
- Let the macaroni and cheese cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
What I love about this mac and cheese recipe is that it is so versatile and you can change it to suit your personal tastes.
- You can use different types of cheese to suit your taste and you can also add in some protein like chicken, bacon, or even lobster if you want to make it more hearty
- For a little bit of extra crunch, you can top it with crushed crackers or nuts.
- You can also add some green in it like broccoli, spinach, or kale to make it more healthy.
- My personal favorite – add a layer of sun-dried tomatoes or sliced tomatoes. For those that enjoy a meal with a little bite, add some of your favorite chili.