An amazing beef curry recipe that will make your guests believe that it was cooked by Indians. This is super aromatic and is great served in bread as Durban-styled bunny chow, or served with rice or roti. The brave will eat it completely by itself.
Beef Curry Recipe
- Large Cast Iron Pot
- Garlic Press
- 500 gr Stewing beef (or mutton) with some bone
- 1 Medium Onion chopped
- 3 tbsp Curry powder masala (Do not cut down on this)
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 4-6 pods Cardamom split open
- 1 tsp Corriander seeds
- 8 whole Cloves
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Black peppercorns
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 2-3 Medium Potatoes
- 2 Bay leaves or quite a few curry leaves
- 1 Can Baked beans
- ½ tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Vegetable oil or ghee
- Add oil to a large pot – I prefer a nice heavy cast-iron casserole pot
- Heat oil on medium to hot plate (setting 4 out of 6)
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, mustard sees, corriander and mustard seed. Allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and cook till transparent
- Add garlic and ginger then immediately add curry powder (masala) and stir in.
- Add cubed beef and fry brown for approx 10 minutes.
- Add boiling water to cover the meat.
- Add turmeric and bay or curry leaves. Add salt.
- Allow to boil for approx 15 to 20 minutes
- Add cubed potatoes and ensure that they are covered in water.
- Allow to boil vigorously for 20 minutes
- Turn the heat down and gently cook for a further 1 to 2 hours. The curry should be bubbling softly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for a half-hour
- Add 1 tin of baked beans in tomato sauce
- Reheat just before you eat.
A good pot of curry is always appreciated by those who enjoy spicy food. It is a great meal for when you are having a few guests over as it can be cooked beforehand – all you need to do is to reheat and serve.
Serve with rice, chutney, and sambals. Alternatively, serve the Durban way as a bunny-chow. Hollow out a quarter loaf of bread and fill with curry. Top the curry with the hollowed-out portion of bread.
Enjoy the meal!