What is a Turkish Pide? Pide is probably best described as the Turkish version of a pizza.
Turkish pide is a popular flatbread that’s cooked in a wood-fired oven and can be stuffed with all sorts of delicious ingredients. It’s similar to pizza, but with a boat-like shape.
Pide is made from yeast dough, which is shaped into disks (pides) and is usually cooked in a wood-fired oven called a Tandir. The bread is cooked until it turns golden brown and crispy on the outside but remains soft inside. Pide dough can also be used to make other foods like Turkish börek (baked filled pastry), which are served as appetizers in Turkey.
Turkish Pide Recipe
- 1 Dough mixer
- 1 Pizza Stone
Filling (beef or lamb)
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 500 gr Minced meat (lamb or beef)
- 1 pinch Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic (fresh minced)
- ½ tsp Chili flakes
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 420 gr Flour
- 1 lrg Egg
- 25 ml Vegetable oil
- 50 gr Yoghurt (plain full cream)
- 150 ml Water
- 6 gr Yeast
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Green pepper finely chopped
- 1 Cup Grated mozzarell cheese
Instruction Video (please like and subscribe)
- Lightly fry onions till they are translucent and starting to brown
- Add the mince
- Add the rest of the spices and when the meat is cooked through, add the tomato paste.
- Set aside
- Add all the listed dough ingredients into a dough mixer and mix well until the dough is smooth.
- Cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes
Preparing the pide
- Roll and cut the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll each into a boat shape approximately 12 inches long
- Add mince filling to the center and add any other optional toppings that you require.
- Fold the sides of the pide up and over the edge of the filling to create a boat shape – see the video below.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 240°C for 15 minutes
- Bon Appetit
Pide may be made with a variety of fillings ranging from vegetarian to full meat as per the pide in the recipe above. I have yet to eat a pide that was not totally delicious regardless of the filling.
I trust that you will fall in love with them and that Pide will become one of your favorite meals.